Old December 21st 03, 10:22 AM
Ditch

Default Advice on flying Pitts with Haigh Locking Tailwheel

Hey all,
Here's the deal. I am going to be ferrying a Pitts S-1S from Florida to New
York next week. This airplane is equipped with a Haigh locking tailwheel. I
have about 800 hours in various models of Pitts (S-2A, S-2B, S-1C and S-1S) but
have never flown one with a locking tailwheel. I have flown airplanes with
locking tailwheels, just not a light plane.
Does anyone out there have any advice on how to handle this one? I'm not sure
what to think. I have heard good things and terrible things about this system.
And, looking back on it...I know 5 pilots that have flown Pitts S-1's with the
locking tailwheel...4 of them wrecked on landing rollout (And having flown with
all of them, they weren't crappy pilots...all had Pitts experience and a good
amount of tailwheel time). Crap...now I am getting nervous.

-John
*You are nothing until you have flown a Douglas, Lockheed, Grumman or North
American*