Old August 1st 03, 02:57 PM
RT

Julian Scarfe wrote in message ...
No, no accumulators. The dive was an attempt to get more airflow through
the prop and therefore more lift on the blades helping them to turn as they
unfeathered slightly (or is it less drag as they start to turn?). I don't
have any conclusive evidence that the speed and the restart success were
related, but it "worked".

:-)

From my experience with the Twin Comanche, the feathered position is a
you-beaut, fair-dinkum FEATHERED position and no way known to man would
diving the a/c to Mach 4 to Mach 6 have any effect on the prop/engine.
BUT, because the feathered position did/does require a lot of travel and
wasn't often used, the effect of sludge in the prop cylinder was very
marked....

(I know the PA30 has always had a lot of bad press, but I consider it to be
a very nice little a/c - albeit requiring a considerable amount of
respect............)