Old July 27th 03, 04:55 PM
Maurice Givens

IFR Magazine reported, that in several tests, pilots were able to
control the aircraft and fly to VFR conditions using only the Garmin
196. Check there web site. The article may have been placed there.

Maurice Givens

Sydney Hoeltzli wrote in message ...
Thomas Pappano wrote:

I've long figured that even with a 1 second position update rate, the
simplest GPS should give you enough turn data to stay in control
in addition to guiding you to an airport and making a useable approach.

I've long been skeptical of this. Experience reinforced my
skepticism.

I have to admit, when I tried it, I did NOT use your "rudder only"
technique. My plane also lacks the "inherent stability" of the
C172. So it's a bit of a different situation.

But....I do think one receives significant clues under the hood
in daylight, even if one is actively trying to NOT cheat.

I'd be curious as to the results if you repeated some portion
of this exercise at night; I don't think it's necessary to
exhaust yourself first, simply try it on a dark night over an
unpopulated area with barely enough visual cues for your safety
pilot.

An interesting exercise, though, thanks for sharing it.

Cheers,
Sydney