Old March 23rd 05, 05:44 AM
SAC

I have just purchased 6 rebuilt O470 cylinders from ECI. I can't tell you
how they'll do, but I can tell you that I'd never use Continental cylinders
again. This set lasted 1000 hour and started testing at 10-15 psi while
leaking through the exhaust valves. Also, you shouldn't need an A&P/IA
number to order your jugs, I just called ECI and told them what I wanted.
I'm just a "customer".

For reference, our last set were Millenium's and they held compressions
until we decided to overhaul at 200 over TBO. Compressions were in the mid
60's, but never dropped. This is considered good for Continentals. I would
choose Milleniums again if given the chance.

This time around, we are restricted to using ECI's due to our Texas Skyway's
O470 STC. We were told that we had to use ECI cylinders(to meet the STC)
because they perform the same modification....whatever that is, the STC is a
big secret that they won't release. We're starting to discover that the
Texas Skyway's HP increase is nothing more that a high flow carb
adjustment....but that's another discussion.

SAC

"RST Engineering" wrote in message
As most of you know, I threw a jug in east BF Wyoming coming home from
Oshkosh last year. I put on an emergency cylinder from a reputable shop,
but the serial number indicated that this replacement jug has been around
for a long, long time.

I'm getting ready for the summer flying season, the Oshkosh trip, and
perhaps an Alaska trip next summer. I want to put on a good replacement
jug and perhaps a full set of replacement jugs once the top end of the
engine starts to deteriorate.

I'm told that Millenium is the jug of choice today, but I'd like some
comments...

If YOU were putting a replacement jug on an O-470 today, what would YOU
use? And who would you buy it from if you could supply an A&P/IA number to
ship it to?

Jim