Old February 20th 18, 09:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Default Hero emulation

As I was told by a rather wise instructor (who is on here a fair amount)...... "you will never beat the lowest finish, at best, you will tie it......".

He learned quite a bit from Steve Bennis, among the pioneers of "modern soaring", airport owner where I flew, the DE for my private and commercial glider check rides, probably found a lot of ways to break gliders over the decades, tried to make sure none of us tried to replicate his misfortunes.
Yes, he is in the SSA HoF.

While he was sorta crusty, I do miss him and was glad to know him.