Old February 19th 10, 05:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter[_1_]

Default Shipping glider from Germany to USA

On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 07:39:21 -0800, Dan wrote:

I'm considering buying a glider in Germany and I've read and heard a bit
about the ins and outs of the process. I'd like to know what the typical
costs are and how long it takes. Brokers? do I need one or are they
really worth using?

Also anyone have experience with licensing an used ex German glider
(currently flying) in Experimental category in US?

Thank in advance,
Dan

I just got a random quote for a 40ft container from San Franciso (USA) to
Newcastle(UK) (Door to Door), and it came in around $6000, I'm fairly
certain that a conventional Cobra type single seater trailer will fit
without (any)major mods with lots of spare room. I have not looked
seriously at this but took advantage of one of those sites that sends a
request for a shipping quote to multiple vendors... if you can deal with
the spamming you'll get from them all touting their business its easy to
get quotes and they all seem very keen...I'm sure the price can be
negotiated down.