Old May 11th 07, 02:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.misc
Ron Hardin

Default Would like to learn to fly, but...

wrote:

Having become dangerously addicted to MS Flight Simulator, I am
starting to develop a hankering to learn to fly for real. However I'm
having a bit of trouble reconciling this desire with my concern about
CO2 emissions and climate change. My wife and I tend to buy reasonably
fuel efficient cars and are soon to have a wind turbine installed on
our house, so to start burning aviation fuel just for fun would seem
like a bit of a step in the wrong direction.

Can anyone provide any insights to help me allay these concerns? I
don't even know how much fuel the average light aircraft consumes or
how much CO2 it puts out into the atmosphere. Is it comparable to a
car or is it a lot more? (My car gets about 50mpg, but then I spend a
lot more time driving it than I could ever afford to spend flying a
plane.)

Thanks in advance,
Colin

Stay with the flight simulator. It's more fun, and it's cheaper (!).
Your kidneys don't freeze, you don't wind up eating FBO airport food,
and you can go anywhere anytime, and at jet speeds, instead of being
passed by cars on the interstates.
--
Ron Hardin