Old May 11th 07, 05:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.misc
Chris.Cheney

Default Would like to learn to fly, but...

wrote in news:1178889791.422239.321860
@o5g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

Having become dangerously addicted to MS Flight Simulator,

I am
starting to develop a hankering to learn to fly for real.

However I'm
having a bit of trouble reconciling this desire with my

concern about
CO2 emissions and climate change. My wife and I tend to

buy reasonably
fuel efficient cars and are soon to have a wind turbine

installed on
our house, so to start burning aviation fuel just for fun

would seem
like a bit of a step in the wrong direction.

Can anyone provide any insights to help me allay these

concerns? I
don't even know how much fuel the average light aircraft

consumes or
how much CO2 it puts out into the atmosphere. Is it

comparable to a
car or is it a lot more? (My car gets about 50mpg, but

then I spend a
lot more time driving it than I could ever afford to spend

flying a
plane.)

Thanks in advance,
Colin

Have you considered flying a glider? The flight controls are
identical to powered aircraft but all those relating to the
engine are missing (so they don't distract one from the real
task of flying G). Although one typically consumes non-
renewable energy in the launch (by aerotow or winch), after
casting off at perhaps 2000 ft, one uses natural phenomena
(thermals, ridge lift, wave) to keep the force of gravity at
bay.

Have a look at the world gliding records
(
http://records.fai.org/gliding/) - you'll probably be
surprised.

There are two downsides: there is no possibility of
performing a go-around if one screws up on the landing and
the weather plays a much larger factor.