Old May 13th 05, 04:11 PM
Jay Masino

1. There are terrorist groups that wish to carry out attacks in the
domestic US.

So? There are terrorist groups all over the world wishing to carry out
attacks on all sorts of people/governments.

2. Government buildings in DC are likely to be preferred targets of
such attacks.

Maybe, but that doesn't warrant reductions in our freedoms.

3. Light aircraft are a possible means of delivering a weapon of some
kind.

So are every car, van, SUV and truck driving around in DC. And most of
them can carry a lot more explosive payload than the overwhelming majority
of GA aircraft. Someone could probably stab you to death with a butter
knife, but we're not worrying about butter knives, are we?

Yes, I agree a U-Haul looks like a far better delivery system, but a
piston GA plane is not out of the question. The bomb used in the first
WTC attack was 1,100 pounds, which is inside the envelope of a 206 to
name just one.

Why wouldn't they just drive up to their target? They'd attract a lot
less attention.

I don't know what they're doing to restrict trucks from getting close
enough, and a 5000# fertilizer bomb probably doesn't need to get too
close to leave a mark. Heck, I'd assume they're not doing enough. I
would also say that intercepting a 206 in mid-air is the least
efficient way to deal with that threat profile, but it would seem to be
pretty foolish to ignore it, especially considering that it has been
done before.

Tell you what? How about the government locking all of us in our houses,
and not letting us out. That would solve the security problem. If they
see anyone outside their house, they can just shoot them immediately. I
realize that's an absurd example, but it makes the point. How much
freedom are we willing to give up for security against a relatively small
number of extremist islamists?

--- Jay

--
__!__