Old October 26th 03, 10:36 PM
Mike Borgelt

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 12:43:35 -0700, "Gary Boggs"
wrote:

Someone must have already compared the safety of these tow launch methods.
What do the statistics show is the safer method of launch? Aero tow seems
to involve more inherent dangers to me. For one thing, there is just more
time for things to go wrong. What could be more dangerous than to tie tow
airplanes together and try to fly?

Gary Boggs

I've only done about two winch launches but have done several hundred
car tows and driven several hundred also.

Ground launches involve lots of wire, rope etc. It is probably a good
observation that the more rope you have the more trouble you can get
into! With one exception below.

I've had the glider run over the wire and tangle in the wheel well.
Not good as you now cannot release and depend on the tow driver..

Pilot reactions to a low altitude winch launch failure are utterly
critical. I suspect we've killed dozens if not hundreds over the years
this way around the world.

You may need more than one launch to get away(rare with aerotow). This
increases your launch risk exposure.

Someone mentioned the stresses in the wire and the glider. Both are
much lower in properly executed arotow.

Aero tow may have a higher exposure to an off airport landing in
unsuitable terrain but the failures seem to be much more rare than
winch wire breaks. If you don't use toy towplanes(less than 180HP)
then any place suitable for winching probably gives you the
opportunity to do a 180 or land straight ahead from an aerotow.

If you want gliding to be popular aerotow involves less running around
on the ground per flight hour.

Flying towplanes is more fun than driving a winch or tow
car.(Allegedly - I last sat in a towplane in 1971 writing down CHT's
for the cooling test for 4 tows in a row and haven't felt motivated to
get into a towplane since despite the aquisition of a PPL 9 years ago)

Aerotowing danger can be reduced by using a longer rope. One of the
local clubs around here tried it and liked it so much the towpilots
won't fly with short ropes. The long rope gives everyone more time to
handle upsets. I suspect the rise of the towplane upset accident
coincided with using shorter ropes.

Mike Borgelt