Old October 12th 05, 12:32 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Daniel Roesen" wrote in message

The person who posted
.com
as deducted from his email address.

He seems to prefer the handle "150flivver". He was incorrect about the
clearance issued.

OK. Wasn't sure wether IAFs were explicitly marked as such almost 30
years ago. I'm only familiar with today's charts. :-)

They were designated by "(IAF)". LINDEN VOR, FRONT ROYAL VOR, and MRB VOR
are all designated as IAFs, but none of them are actually on the plate.

The MSA for the quadrant they were in is 3300'. The MEA for the route
from Front Royal VOR, which was just 14 degrees off of their track,
was 3400'.

Yeah, that's why I asked what MSA radius was used back then, as it's not
stated on the approach plate. The enroute segment with the 3400ft MEA
is (IIRC) about 18nm long, so it's certainly longer than the MSA radius.

I have a Jeppesen approach chart legend dated October 10, 1975. The MSA
radius is 25 miles unless otherwise noted.