Old October 14th 05, 12:58 AM
Ron Garret

In article ,
Ron Garret wrote:

In article ,
Mark Hansen wrote:

Now, if they created a fix somewhere out on V21, and wrote a feeder
route from that fix, then you could. Effectively, you've be flying
V21 to the fix, then initiating the SIAP from there. However, they
didn't, so you can't ;-)

OK, I'll buy that.

I wonder if Steven P. McNicoll buys it too.

And I wonder what Socal Approach would have to say about it. (I think
I'll go find out. What a great excuse to fly to Catalina!)

Well, I did this experiment today. Flew VNY-AVX-FUL-VNY. It was a
gorgeous day, though I didn't get to do as much sightseeing as I would
have liked. All those approaches keep you busy!

So coming out of AVX I was cleared V21 SLI Direct, but coming out of AVX
I was immediately put on a 050 vector, which is not actually a vector to
SLI but takes you about 15nm east. So I asked Socal if I lost comm just
then what would he expect me to do? The controller seemed a little
taken aback, as if lost comm. was not something that he ever thought
about, but then improvised that he'd expect me to fly the vector until
abeam SLI, then turn towards SLI. But he added that "no one ever flies
their clearance around here. We always just give out vectors."

So I guess the bottom line is that as a practical matter no one ever
flies a PT in southern california because we always get vectors to final.

rg