View Single Post
Old November 6th 18, 07:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn[_3_]
external usenet poster

Default ASW 27 Instrument Panel Texture

On Monday, November 5, 2018 at 5:26:16 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I am making a new instrument panel for my ASW27. The original panel appears to have a textured overlay that looks similar to leather. As far as I can tell the panel was made from carbon fiber over a plug and then the texture was bonded to the panel most likely using a vacuum bagging method. It is bonded so well that it may have been part of the layup process. I would like to duplicate the same look if possible. I am looking for some help regarding possible texture materials and procedures to provide a new panel with the original manufactures results.

Thanks,
Chris

Most (if not all) modern gliders use fiberglass as opposed to carbon fiber or aluminum for instrument panel construction. I have been told this is because fiberglass is less likely to act as a guillotine for your legs in a crash. I know from personal experience (as a witness) why this became a concern. Don't use carbon. The Schleicher panel blanks are cheap - unless you value your time at minimum wage or less.

When I redid my panel I made a CAD drawing of the layout and laser cut trial panels out of acrylic at a local shop, then cut the panel blank using an acrylic template and a router (the local shop wouldn't let me laser-cut fiberglass due to uncertainty about the resin and the resulting fumes). That was before Williams Soaring got their laser cutter. My recommendation is that you make a CAD (or drawing) file with the hole layout, laser cut an acrylic test panel (if you have access to a laser cutter) to check for fit and then send the file to Williams for one-stop shopping.

PM me if you'd like the CAD file I used.

Andy Blackburn
9B