Old April 11th 04, 05:33 PM
Bart

For clarification, theres no such thing as Commercial External Load,
its an External Load endorsement, and requires that you be working for
someone who has the proper certification for external loads other than training.

Also, theres no such thing as a "Turbine Rating." Once you have a private
you're allowed to fly any helicopter under 12,000 lbs. This DOES NOT
mean that you'll ever actually be able to fly a turbine ship though. Unless you
have "Factory Initial" training in "type" it is highly highly improbable that
you'll ever be actual PIC of a turbine ship. Factory Initial training in turbine types
generally costs at least $8,500 and goes up in direct proportion to the price
of the machine you're flying. Add to this that you'll be totally uninsurable
in any turbine type until you have at least 200 hrs in it, and you can see the
Catch-22.

Positions as anything other than a CFI are very hard to come by until you
are above about 1200 hours rotorcraft, and salaries at this point seem to
be lower relative a fixed wing pilot at the same point in his/her career.

I only mention this stuff because its important to go into this thing with your
eyes wide open and your expectations set at the proper level. It can be
very very frustrating, and it mostly has nothing to do with your skill or dedication.
Your career progression will be moderated more by insurance companies
than the FAA and FARs.

Bart

When I graduate from the program, I'll have My Private, Instrument,
Commercial, External Load, CFI and Turbine ratings. 175 hours of
total time in R22, Schweitzer 300, R44 and then some time in a Long
Ranger or Hughes 500. (I'm not sure if the 175 hours includes the
Turbine quals or not - I don't think so 'cuz that was extra money.
eheh) Suplementing actual flight hours is unlimited sim time, based
on sim availability of course.

You get a commercial, or a commercial and a CFI in 12 months and your
first payment to the bank isn't due until 18 months. The operation:

[ some snipping here]

I can't wait to start...