Old January 19th 04, 06:41 AM
Jack

On 2004/01/18 21:32, in article ,
"Howard Berkowitz" wrote:

... I am _not_ in favor of gun confiscation, but I really can't
accept the idea of the unorganized militia, with sporting weapons,
deterring either regulars or invaders. With a laptop and intimate
knowledge of communications networks, I can be a MUCH nastier deterrent.

....until you have reduced the ability of the high tech forces to a level
less out of line with those of the your indigenous forces, at which point
the ability to do something more than strangle them with your power cord
will certainly be required.

They will maintain the advantage of a trained frontline force with modern
weapons. You will have to overcome that with sufficient numbers of fighters
and adequate weapons, intimate knowledge of all sorts of local and regional
networks -- both of infrastructure and of human resources, and great
leadership.

Which leg of that triad do you really think you could do without?

Of course we don't have anything like "a well ordered militia" today, so
perhaps you would like to suggest a replacement that can carry us to the
next level of protection beyond that provided by video gamers? Once you have
done your stuff with the laptop weapon, the conflict will become very
conventional "unconventional" warfare -- something the so-called "high tech"
forces, and not just in the US, are now better prepared to fight than they
have ever been, even without the tech.

Jack