Old May 13th 05, 04:01 AM
Roger

On Wed, 11 May 2005 11:09:46 -0500, "Jim Burns"
wrote:

Hi Jim,

After 4 years, we have not been able to upgrade the site. The people that
made the software for us, did such a hatchet job that we are unable to do
want we orginally wanted.

If you have front page, or a modern HTML editor you should have all
the tools needed to create such a page. They really aren't much more
than a calendar/spreadsheet. You can even set them up to do the cost
calculations, totals, and recalculate your total operating costs, both
fixed and variable. That would let you work with a real monthly cost
and charge per hour.

I had a deal with a good friend who owned a software company to re-do the
site from scratch, but last summer he stabbed me in the back over a flying
situation.

On Friday, the server died, and at this point, I'm just ready to say "I
tried". It cost me $30.000.00 of my own money but it was worth it. Its too
bad the company that designed the software did such a ****ty job.

Ahhhh... I'd find a good commercial company. It costs me less than
$50 a month for a commercial web site hosting along with the URL. They
take care of almost everything. True I have to do most of my own
programming, but it doesn't take long to learn and I keep it simple.

I have a choice of purchasing my own server (I can build one whale of
a nice one for $3,000 or under), or lease from the ISP which is what I
do. Then I do not have to worry about keeping the thing up-to-date.
The, under $50 includes the leased equipment and up to 50 e-mail
accounts.

You really shouldn't need custom software. Scheduling and calendars
should be "out-of-the-box" apps. Most sites/pages use software far
more complex than needed. You want to give the end user access to a
calendar, or spreadsheet. Those things are readily available and I
believe that Yahoo has such a thing available.

I've been on since 96 and my most expensive costs were when I had an
ISDN line and later a DSL line. Both were relatively slow (but faster
than dial up). I had to pay for a dedicated IP and for "LAN-on-demand"
as I have a system tied in with over two terabytes of storage now.
At that time I was paying close to $200 a month including the phone
line. Now It's Under $50, but I do use a cable connection for access
and that is around $29 a month. I probably run close to half a gig of
traffic a day.

Do some shopping and searching. You should be able to do what you
want for pennies a day.

Good Luck,

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

I'm glad you enjoyed its use.

Best regards,
Jeff

"Martin Hotze" wrote in message
"Jim Burns" wrote:

We've been using www.youcanbookit.com for scheduling our airplane. So

far
it's been easy and worked great. The best part about it was it was a
free/commercial based site. Unfortunately the site has gone down and

the
owner says it isn't likely to be put back online.

has he offered a reason why it is down and why he won't bring it back
online?

#m

f-up to r.a.p set
--