Old April 25th 06, 03:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default A strange richness...

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com...
On our flight to Nevada, I was impressed with the smoothness and
car-like predictability of Jim Burns' start-up technique with his
Lycoming IO-540s. Jim had a way to start them that I'd not seen
demonstrated before, which I will describe he

1. Fuel pump on
2. Electric primer on for (a few?) seconds
3. Crack throttle
4. With mixture at full lean, start cranking
5. Gradually enrichen the mixture until the engine fires

Works on the TCM IO-550 including the TN version.

BTW, If the mixture is already full rich, how do you enrich it further?

--
Matt