Old November 7th 06, 03:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval
Front Office

Default Horatio Nelson - Battle Painting

pe.rhodes wrote:
There is a famous one, but in it, he has only one arm and one eye, and is
boarding another ship with a sword in his hand, and no hat - is that the
one?

No, but I'd like to see that one if you can give a URL for it.

In the one I have in mind, he is advancing from the left (I think).
He might have his right arm, but I doubt it, since I think that
was probably part of what got him so glorified. He is carrying
a sword, and other British soldiers are near him. It's his neutral
facial expression that is interesting to me, in re the "violence
delivered phlegmatically" quotation from the article that the
picture accompanied.

"Front Office" wrote in message
. ..

St. John Smythe wrote:

Was it this picture?

http://media.historynet.com/designimages/bp_figures.gif

That's not it, but the posture is about right. And the person in
question looks more like Horatio Nelson than G. Washington.