Old August 6th 03, 11:57 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Newps" wrote in message
news:1JeYa.55203$cF.19683@rwcrnsc53...

No, absolutely not. It is 100% the responsibility of approach to
contact the tower. And your altitude isn't relavant. As an example at
my tower/TRACON the TRACON owns the airspace up to 12,000. We let the
tower have about 1500 feet AGL. That doesn't mean however that the
TRACON can bring overflights right over the airport at 2000 AGL without
coordinating with the tower. Any airplane that the TRACON is working
that is going over the airport has to be coordinated with the tower,
even if you are at 12,000, because the tower has automatic releases for
all departures. Same thing if Salt Lake is working a VFR overflight at
12,500 or an IFR overflight at 13,000. He has to call me to point out
that traffic to me.

No he doesn't.