Old August 7th 03, 03:56 AM
Robert Henry

"Newps" wrote in message
et...

There are no classes of airspace that matter to an IFR pilot. Airspace
classes were designed for VFR. As to does IFR traffic fly low so as to
get into other classes of airspace where coordination would be required?
Yes, all the time. But usually it's not the class that matters but
whose airspace it actually is. If center is working an overflight that
passes thru the top 2-3000 feet of my airspace they will often call me
and ask if I want to talk to him or just take him as a point out. If I
take it as a point out the pilot may never know he got into my airspace.

Regarding the airspace classifications for IFR, understood. The original
assertion that I responded to was :

Most likely he had already given a call to the class D
tower and coordinated your transition as he would with IFR traffic.

The essence of my point is still valid. How often will a radar controller
coordinate an IFR transition through Class D airspace? Based upon your
additional explanation, I'd conclude almost never.

Arrival/approach coordination happens all the time - it must - but
transitions is wholly different.