Old November 14th 05, 02:28 PM
Jim Macklin

Default Tomahawk/ Skipper

Beech Skipper Model 77 is a well constructed airplane with
Beech quality systems. It spins are well behaved and
predictable. There was some industrial espionage that got
the general layout to Piper and they got on the market
first. Had a lot of problems with the first 1,000 planes or
so, construction was often sloppy, things like the control
wheel breaking off in the pilots' hands (both) and they had
to do a lot of spin fixes, which involved stall strips. The
location of the stall strips varies from plane to plane
because the wings are different.
Both airplanes have good visibility and hot cockpits as a
result. Both could use about 25 more HP. When I win the
lottery I would buy a Skipper and put an IO-320 or 360
engine on the front with a CS prop. The Skipper is a lot of
fun to fly and it is a stick and rudder airplane.

Taught quit a few CFIs how to fly in a Skipper, little time
in a Tomahawk.

My opinion, Beech did it right, Piper did it quick.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

"W P Dixon" wrote in
message ...
| These planes look like clones of each other. I like the
looks but does