Old September 5th 04, 03:24 AM
Ben Jackson

In article ,
Ron Rosenfeld wrote:

I'd appreciate any thoughts as to what sort of weather or other problems I
might expect getting into (and out of) that area.

Take a look at some of the Medford approaches. In particular, the LOC BC
illustrates the terrain around both airports:

http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0409/00251LDBCB.PDF

The Ashland airport isn't depicted on that chart, but it's in that valley
that angles off to the southeast from MFR. I5 runs right by both airports.
They're both easy to get if you come down the Willamette valley (EUG-OED)
from the north. Ashland claims to stay VFR when other airports (including
MFR) are socked in, and I've seen that happen (as I flew over from
Portland to the bay area).

If I weren't coming from the north I'd probably approach from the
southeast along either I5 or the highway that goes to Klamath Falls.

If you're going to the Shakespeare festival, the Ashland airport is very
convenient. It's about a 10 minute, $15 cab ride from the airport to
downtown. The airport staff is friendly and there's always been plenty
of parking. It was $7/night earlier this year.

Ashland is in the shadow of some large hills, so it gets dark/cold earlier
than you expect in the fall.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/