Old November 7th 06, 11:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.simulators
Peter Duniho

Default FSX - necessary to have CD in place?

"Blue" wrote in message
Sounds like there may now be a need for an activation hack so that we can
have full "ownership" of the program, i.e., the ability to load it to a
new computer as many will decide to do when they find that their old
computer doesn't do it justice.

Well, more importantly, how will you run it ten years from now (or whatever)
when Microsoft stops supporting activation for that product?

I still have an MSFS disk from the early 80's. Yeah, it's got that stupid
"put an intentional error on the floppy" copy protection but at least it
still runs (on suitable hardware, of course).

I still wish software vendors would get it through their thick skulls that
copy protection of any sort only inconveniences legitimate users, and
doesn't stop piracy at all. I'm not sure which is worse -- media-based
protection, in which it only works on certain hardware, or activiation-based
protection, in which one is dependent on the vendor remaining in business
and supporting the software. Either way, I feel like I'm basically just
borrowing the right to use the software, rather than purchasing it outright.

Pete