Old April 20th 06, 07:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default The Commercial License: Is it a good long-term investment?

Assuming you already have 500 hours to fly VFR, or 1200 to fly IFR air taxi
(these requirements were in effect when I flew charter- things may have
changed), you might want to consider a part time position (if you can get
it) flying 135 on someone else's certificate.

The maintenance requirements for a 135 airplane are far more strict than
they are for Part 91 operators. My Seneca was owned by an Air Taxi before
I bought it. It seems that there was a maintenance entry in the books on a
weekly basis for service bulletins and 100 hr in$pections. (I even found a
S.B. for rubber plugs in the corners of the glove box!)

If you decide to go 135, be prepared for a lot of paperwork. Submitting
applications, "Ops Specs" and the like to the FAA for review is no fun.

As another poster here said, you'll make a small fortune, after you start
with a large one
wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello everyone,

Everyone knows that if you put in thousands of dollars for a solid
college education, you'll reap the benefits later on. Is it also true
for the FAA commercial license? If I put in the extra money to get a
commercial license, can recoup that money (and them some) by starting
an air chartering service? Is the air chartering industry profitable?
I have a great day job and would like to keep it. I'm willing to spend
evenings and weekends flying an air charter, but I don't know if I'll
go bankrupt. What are your two cents?