Old January 6th 04, 04:41 AM
weary

"Matt Wiser" wrote in message
news:3ff88f17$1@bg2....

"weary" wrote:

"Matt Wiser" wrote
in message
news:3ff06fa6$1@bg2....

"weary" wrote:

snip

Weary, I said it before and I'll say it

again: How would you have
destroyed
the miltiary and industrial targets located

in Japanese Cities?

Conventional bombing.

If not the B-29 fire raids, what? Daylight

precision bombing had poor
results over
Japan due to winds (Jet Stream) and opposition

from flak and fighters.

Where do get this nonsense from? The Strategic
Bombing Survey states -
"Bombing altitudes after 9 March 1945 were lower,
in both day and night
attacks. Japanese opposition was not effective
even at the lower altitudes,
and the percentage of losses to enemy action
declined as the number of
attacking planes increased. Bomb loads increased
and operating losses
declined in part due to less strain on engines
at lower altitudes. Bombing
accuracy increased substantially, and averaged
35 to 40 percent within 1,000
feet of the aiming point in daylight attacks
from 20,000 feet or lower."

From the USAF official history of the 20th and 21st Bomber Commands.

Strange that the USSBS contradicts them. The figures it cites speak for
themselves.

And
remember: General Hayward Hansell, the first CO of the B-29s on the

Marianas,
was fired for poor performance of his command and replaced with LeMay by
Hap Arnold.

Why would I want to remember that? How is it relevant?

You still think that accurate conventional bombing was possible
given Japan's cottage industry.

I never claimed it was possible against cottage industry - please
stop constructing strawmen.

It wasn't. Only way to destroy said major

How can cottage industry be a major industrial target?

and minor industrial targets was to go low-level at night with

incindinaries.

It worked. I don't care what the Japanese think: THEY STARTED THE WAR, AND
THEY HAVE ONLY THEMSELVES TO BLAME FOR THE CONSEQUENCES. Pearl Harbor's

treachery
was repaid with interest at Hiroshima.

Pearl Harbour didn't happen in a vacuum, in spite of what you seem
to think. The Japanese didn't get up one morning and decide to
attack Pearl Harbour because they had nothing else to do.

Yamamoto was right: "All we have done is awaken a sleeping giant and fill
him with a terrible resolve." He didn't live to see it, but he was right.
I had relatives who were either in the Pacific or headed there from

Europe.
To them, Truman made the right decision: drop the bomb and end the war

ASAP.
No bomb means invasion, and look at Saipan, Luzon, Iwo Jima, and Okinawa
to see what that would've been like. I like to think that I'm here because
my grandfather didn't go to Kyushu in Nov '45.

Oh God spare me the grandfather story yet again.