Old February 18th 21, 02:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default The Yellow Triangle

Nicholas Kennedy wrote on 2/16/2021 4:56 PM:
On many German gliders on the ASI is a yellow triangle.
This Yelloe Triangle on my ASw 20 and my LS3a is the factory recommended approach airspeed. This speed is 49 knots.
This has bothered me for a long time now, I think the factory did alot of pilots a disservice by putting this, to me anyway, very low number on there.
On both the above gliders, the max speed, normal landing flap flaps down, is 86 knots.
About 15 years ago my Gold Seal flight instructor Bob Faris, CX,indicated to me in his LS3 he planned on a much higher speed in the pattern, like 70-75 knots depending on conditions. I followed suit ever since.

Since so many gliders have 49 knots for the Yellow Triangle, I think this might be a regulatory
requirement, not a choice by the glider manufacturer. Perhaps gliders are required to have an
approach speed no higher than 49 knots at a certain weight with the regulation required control
authority.