Old March 3rd 21, 03:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Carris[_2_]

Default Looking for a Colibri ii

On Wednesday, March 3, 2021 at 8:36:11 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
Yeah, and all those 40 year old gliders got badges and records without
any of that fancy stuff. And who doesn't miss the fun of turn point
photos taken out of the sector, or film disallowed because the processor
cut it, balky barographs, etc.? It took more flights but it was more
fun, I think, the diamonds still sparkle!

Dan
5J
On 3/2/21 5:54 PM, Moshe Braner wrote:
On Tuesday, March 2, 2021 at 6:26:48 PM UTC-5, nickkennedy wrote:
Len
I had a Colibri 2
I really disliked that thing, very difficult to use unless you have programmer level skills I found out.
Ancient technology.
LXNAV has 3 IGC flight recorders from $480 ,$610 ,$810
The $$610 and 810 have map screens and alot of features along with a logger.
Easy to use and will last forever.
CRAGGYAERO.COM has them at a good price point.
Call Richard, he'll fix you right up.
Nick

Alas nothing lasts "forever". Funny when people put such faith into the current models, but when I ask why I can't get factory support for a 15-year-old model I'm told "what do you expect?" Old mechanical instruments of good quality did last a long time - e.g., Sage varios. The Scheumann box in my (originally Kai Gertsen's) HP14 was still soldiering on after 40 years. Electronics: not so much. Computerized electronics: designed obsolescence.

A Nano works great and is simple and relatively inexpensive. Connected to a XCSoar smart phone via BT, gives you everything you need for XC on any level.