Old December 15th 03, 09:24 PM
Tony Williams

"Brett" wrote in message ...
"Tony Williams" wrote:

| Can you point me please to the source for the statement that "the BK
| 27 wasn't that great an advance and that the GAU-12/U was just as
| effective".

The term used by Burbage was "comparable in technical performance" and
was part of this section of a Defense Daily article.

__Burbage emphasized that both the BK 27 and GAU-12 were able to meet
JSF's lethality requirements, which include probability of kill and
accuracy. He said the GAU-12, which has a higher rate of fire than the
BK 27, was able to meet the requirement by putting more rounds on the
target.
"Performance and affordability are equally important in our selection
process," Burbage said. "If we have two candidates that are comparable
in technical performance, but have significant differences in terms of
affordability, we will pick the one that is more affordable."

Burbage also said there were more technical negatives against the BK 27
than the GAU-12. Cost in three areas, unit recurring fly-away cost,
ammunition, and operational support, tilted the decision in favor of the
GAU-12, he said.

"In all three areas, there was a benefit to the GAU-12," Burbage said.__

see: http://stage.defensedaily.com/VIP/dd...ddi1122.htm#A3

Thanks, that's helpful.

Wasn't "ammunition, and operational support" behind of the RAF's
"government problems" with the Typhoon BK 27 installation.

I had the impression that the Eurofighter programme was taking a lot
of flak for being over budget, so the gun was offered up as a kind of
sacrificial lamb to appease the Treasury (the RAF probably figuring
that they could fit it later if required). Of course, when it turned
out that the first 55 or so were contractually committed anyway, and
the gun has to be carried by the plane whether it's used or not, they
looked rather silly. All they'll be saving will be the cost of ammo
and the maintenance/training requirements, which is not likely to be
huge as a percentage of the project. I'd lay a small bet that not long
after the Typhoon enters service, the RAF will suddenly find an urgent
operational need for activating the gun...

Tony Williams
Military gun and ammunition website: http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk
Discussion forum at: http://forums.delphiforums.com/autogun/messages/