Old June 12th 07, 11:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
sheamon

Default Flight delays

On Jun 11, 4:37 pm, Peter Clark
wrote:
On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 19:31:58 -0400, "Morgans"

wrote:

"xyzzy" wrote

I also wondered if this was related to the current privatization melt-
down of FSS. They talked about difficulty getting flight plans
through, which sounds like it would be related to our current problems.

It seems unlikely that it is _not_ in some way connected.

NADIN had an outage, not the cause of Flight Service.

From the AOPA website:

"Sometimes it's not Lockheed Martin's fault. If you had problems with
your flight plan today, it may have been due to the failure of an FAA
system. The FAA's central data switch in Atlanta - the National
Airspace Data Interchange Network (NADIN) - failed, and all operations
switched over to the Salt Lake City facility. (The NADIN transfers
flight plans from flight service stations to the host computers in the
air route traffic control centers or, if the flight is VFR, to the
appropriate flight service station for the flight's destination. IFR
clearance information is also routed through the NADIN.)

Salt Lake City became overloaded and stopped accepting new flight
plans for a while. The system was restored by afternoon but processing
slower than normal as it worked on catching up on the backlog of
flight plans."