Old April 3rd 05, 07:10 PM
Bob Gardner

Good point about TERPS, although it is directed to procedures designers, not
pilots. Of course, Parts 23 and 25 are directed to manufacturers, not
pilots, and contain nothing that pilots must adhere to. Good guidance,
though, in all three cases.

Bob

wrote in message ...

Sparse wrote:

Does anyone know of a VFR climb gradient. The only possible thing I can
come up with is what Part 25 says an aircraft must be able to meet
concerning the takeoff path. From the start of takeoff to 1500 feet or
when transition from takeoff to enroute configuration is complete. an
aircraft must be able to climb at least at a 1.2% gradeitn. I ahev
heard of a gradeint of 1.6% for VFR but I acn find nothing about it. I
know the IFR gradient is 3.3%.

The Part 25 transport category climb gradients are neither VFR or IFR;
they
are a minimum performance requirement for all operations. IFR takeoff
minimums, obstacle departure procedures, or SIDs will often require IFR
climb gradients in excess of the Part 25 minimums. 200 feet per mile
(3.3%) is the minimum IFR climb gradient for departures when a gradient is
not specified.

Airway en route climb gradients are less than 3.3% and are split into
three
values, depending upon altitude. The only reference to these gradients is
in the TERPs section pertaining to airway design.