Old April 25th 05, 04:22 AM
Robert M. Gary

Paul Tomblin wrote:
In a previous article, john smith said:
Why not call CANPASS on their toll-free number and ask them

directly.
I have always found them to be helpful and friendly (just the

opposite
of US Customs).

Because I called the number listed on the web site for "more

information".
The 800 number didn't work from the US, so I tried the non-800

number, and
and it gave me a recorded message,

Why not just call the CANPASS number? We know that works from the U.S.
I've found them to be very helpful, if not a bit bizarre. Last time I
called them from California for a direct flight. I had the following
strange conversation with the CANPASS woman.
C - "Are you bringing any alcohol into Canada today"
Me - "no"
C - "So, you don't drink"
Me - "Ah, yes I do but I'm not bringing my own, I'll buy something when
I get there"
C - "So you're sure you don't have any alcohol"
(At this point I thought it might be a trick
Me - "Well, I have mouth wash, I think that has alcohol in it".

C - "Ok, what about tobacco".
Me - "I don't smoke, I'm not bringing any tobacco".
C - "Does anyone in your party smoke"
Me - "No"

C - "And you're sure you're leaving from California"
Me - "Yes"
C - "OK".

I thought it was just strange.
-Robert