Old March 11th 15, 05:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

Default 300lb (130kg) pilot

On Friday, March 6, 2015 at 9:33:56 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Hello everybody, I'm a instrument rated private pilot with 120 hours TT, all single engine piston A/C.

I've been meaning to get a glider rating for a long time, mainly because I want to learn soaring and possibly do some light aerobatics on the cheap.

However I've been steered away several times due to the lack of options of gliders that would accomodate my size, height and weight.
I'm 300lbs, 6'3", tall, fat, big, with VERY wide shoulders.

I did contact most soaring schools and clubs here in the SE (FL,AL,GA). My options were limited to Schweizer's 2-33 / 32 if I'm not mistaken.
One of the clubs agreed to take me up, but if I recall correctly they wouldn't have an examiner light enough to stay within W&B for the checkride.

Assuming I manage to get the rating somehow in one of the Schweizer's, what would be my options if I were in the market for a single seat sailplane with respectable performance for light aerobatics ?
Again, I'm 300lbs, 6'3", tall, fat, big, with VERY wide shoulders.
Budget is 20K.

On a side note, how feasible would be for 'this' pilot to get a towing job ?
Fresh CSEL 250 hours
Multi, Instrument, Glider, AG ratings
Tailwheel and 20 hours of pawnee.

If you didn't get the picture yet;
I'd pretty much like to soar, loop, spin and roll for fun while sharpening stick and rudder skills without an engine to worry about (cheap), and build tailwheel time while applying for spray jobs.

I think that the larger issue here (no pun intended) is not what glider you will fit in (not many!) but how long you will live. You are morbidly obese and it WILL shorten your life span. Lose the weight, NOW! If you cut 500 calories per day from your current diet you will lose a pound a week (50 lbs per year). This assumes that your current weight has stabilized. If not, you will have to cut more out of your diet. But you probably already know this...

Tom