Old August 26th 04, 01:20 AM
Kevin Horton

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 08:02:45 +0000, John wrote:

Capt.Doug wrote:

"John Ross" wrote in message As I understand it, in order to fly

(legally)
above 17,500 feet, the pilot must be instrument-rated and file an IFR

flight
plan. In sunny, cloudless conditions can you file an IFR flight plan
and go
over 17,500 if your plane (like my Pitts 12) is not equipped to fly at
night or in bad weather, i.e. no lights or gyros?

14CFR91.135(d) allows for a deviation to Class 'A' requirements.

D.

Yes But LOL getting the FAA to authourize it! John

Terry Jantzi got authorization from Transport Canada to take his RV-6
above FL180. He managed to get his normally aspirated, fuel-injected 180
hp RV-6 up over 26,000 ft - only 9" of HG when he finally couldn't climb
any more.

http://home.hiwaay.net/~sbuc/journal/high.html

You need to come to Canada

--