Old October 21st 04, 04:00 PM
Dudley Henriques

"Jay Beckman" wrote in message
news:K1Kdd.7927$SW3.788@fed1read01...
"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message
ink.net...

SNIP

A three dimensional roll (barrel roll) is possible for a big jet, and
has been done, even in the prototype 707. You are right about keeping
the g positive all the way around. Both myself and several other
demonstration pilots at one time or another have barreled airplanes
with a glass of water on the instrument glare shield. I have done it
in a D18 Twin Beech several times and Bob Hoover has done it in a
Shrike Commander......many times. :-)

Hi Mr. H,

I didn't realize you'd performed this feat as well...too cool!

Me, I have trouble sometimes just taking a sip of water from a squeeze
bottle on cross country flights LOL.

I recall seeing film of Mr. Hoover doing this with a golf ball hanging
off the overhead and while POURING a glass of water from a pitcher.

Not a drop of water gets spilled and golf ball never moves (the string
is ram-rod straight) while the horizon is seen through the windscreen
revolving through 360 degrees !!

Amazing control...

Regards,

Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
PP-ASEL
Still Nowhere to go but up!

Hi Jay;

Bob Hoover was one of the first charter members of the International
Fighter Pilots Fellowship and is one of the premier demonstration pilots
in the world.
My little "feat" in the D18 was done more or less as an imitation of
what Bob did in the Shrike just to see if we could do it . In all truth
I should say it took a few tries to get it absolutely right, and I did
come home one day with a wet flightsuit ;-) I would imagine Bob has
managed to get a bit wet once or twice himself on occasion when he
wasn't filming :-))
Dudley