Old December 15th 04, 06:54 AM
Yofuri

John Szalay wrote:
In August, while cataloging the debris field around the wreck of a Japanese
midget submarine, HURL submarine pilot Terry Kerby ran across the inverted
keel of a "flying boat"
A Martin JRM-1 Mars named "Marshall Mars"

In the spring of 1950, during a test flight off of Diamond Head, one of
"Marshall Mars" engines caught fire, and the pilot landed in the open
ocean. Although the crew got out safely and a fireboat was soon on the
scene, the plane burned, exploded and sank. The cause was thought to be a
leaking fuel line, although it could not be confirmed because the wreckage
vanished, swallowed by the ocean.

http://starbulletin.com/2004/12/14/news/story4.html

two of the Mars flying boats are still around.
http://www.martinmars.com/

In 1968 a group of us were fishing up in the San Juan Islands with the
trolling motor running, radio playing, poptops pinging and many sea
stories in progress. We didn't hear the Mars come alongside us until he
dropped the scoops and hit the throttle.

Only God and my laundryman will ever know...

Rick