Old January 22nd 04, 10:45 AM
Martin Gregorie

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 22:54:34 +0000, Mike Lindsay
wrote:

In article , Alistair Wright
writes

"Martin Gregorie" wrote in message
. ..
On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 19:01:07 -0000, "David Starer"
wrote:

Well Martin, you and I both know that whenever you land out in the UK there
will shortly be police car and a crowd of gawpers asking where the 'crash'
is! In more than twenty C/C flights I always encountered this response.
Even when I showed people that my engine hadn't fallen off, they still often
could not comprehend the idea of flying without one. So much for our
'air-minded public I used to think. On two occasions some local worthy
actually summoned the Fire Brigade who were NOT amused to find no crash and
certainly no fire.

I had this happen when I landed near a busy road near Bury St Edmunds.
I had a policeman on a motor-bite, two fire engines and a doctor.
I tried to get the policeman to help me derig, I've never seen one
disappear so quickly. But it was a Skylark 4, notoriously heavy.

The next day I landed out again, my second phone call was a 999 to tell
the police there wasn't an emergency. They were a bit non-plussed, but
quite glad to know.

That's a good idea. I'll remember to do that in future.

--
martin@ : Martin Gregorie
gregorie : Harlow, UK