Old April 14th 04, 04:22 PM
Ed Rasimus

On 14 Apr 2004 12:18:48 GMT, (BUFDRVR) wrote:

Have only the greatest respect for BUFF drivers since 18
December 1972. (Before then there were some credibility issues.)

Which I was unaware of until I read Michels "11 Days of Christmas", although it
seems unfair to target the aircrew for these "credibility issues"; the orders
came directly from SAC.

You are probably too young to have heard the stories of the Anderson
O'Club bar with the bell announcing to "clear the bar for the combat
crews" and the itinerant Thud driver who promptly punched out the Buff
driver returning from his FL 390 monkey-killing bomb puke over S.
Vietnam who suggested the single-seater didn't belong.

The credibility was regarding the tactical forces doing the deep
strike strategic mission (and suffering 40% or higher losses for
months on end) while the strategic force was doing no-threat tactical
bomb drops in tactical support roles. In those days, they were like
Rodney Dangerfield--they didn't get no respect (and they hadn't earned
any.)

"Peace is Our Profession" was fine for them, but for the rest of us,
War was our occupation. Everyone around BUFFs should be familiar with
the heritage that was forged during those eleven days.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
Smithsonian Institution Press