Old April 5th 05, 03:57 PM
Len

That is good info-

I also found out something like that on the Piper Seminole I fly.

The Seminole's ELT can be physically removed from the tail, and it
contains its own aerial. After disconnecting it from the Aircraft
aerial, you can take the unit with you and use the internal aerial.

I remember there was an accident in the mountains not to long ago where
two survivors hiked out (one with a broken back). If they knew about
this, they may have been able to get help much earlier.

I've also heard about the new personal GPS/ELT units that transmit
coordinates as well as the ELT signal. I think there is an outfit called
Aerofix that makes them.

Ben Jackson wrote:
I just discovered that my ELT (Pointer Model 3000-10) has a microphone
jack on it. Of course, in any accident where I would be able to take
advantage of that I probably would have checked the ELT for proper
operation and discovered it. Still, it's a good thing to be aware of.
I'm surprised I'd never heard of that feature before.