Old August 12th 05, 06:01 PM

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 06:08:08 GMT, "ShawnD2112"
wrote:

Are you kidding? Have you ever tried to find an ANO reference for anything?
I can't make heads or tails out of that silly document.

You're much more technically correct that I intended to be. I was only
trying to point out the original poster was in error about the IMC rating.

Shawn

"Peter" wrote in message
.. .

"ShawnD2112" wrote

You need an IMC rating to fly in IMC but it doesn't give
you the full priveleges of an IR (Class A use, for instance). It is
merely
to teach you to fly in marginal weather.

Do you have an ANO reference for the last sentence of the above?

The IFR privileges of the UK IMC Rating are essentially those of the
JAA IR, but limited to the UK, no Class A, and 1800m min vis.
Everything else is an opinion; fair enough but it's just that.

One can do perfectly safe fully-IFR flights, in solid IMC, with its
privileges. Just like the full IR, it needs currency and a suitable
aircraft and these cost serious time and money.

Unfortunately it's no good outside the UK, for IFR.

Its possession removes the UK PPL *VFR* requirement to be in sight of
surface and that removal is valid everywhere where they have not added
the "must be in sight of surface" requirement to the ICAO PPL (got
that in writing from the CAA).

If you look at the ANO under Schedule 8 it gives the PPL privileges of
an IMC and Night Rating:
http://www.legislation.hmso.gov.uk/s...0/20001562.htm

As for Operating Mimima this is in the AIP under Aerodromes General
AD-1. In particular from section AD 1-1-6:
http://www.ais.org.uk/aes/pubs/aip/p...omes/30101.PDF

As noted previously you may only wish to "fly in marginal weather" but
you can legally fly "fully-IFR flights, in solid IMC". The CAA may
wish to stress it's only to get you out of trouble but that is only
their recommendation.

I have an IMC rating and usually file IFR on longer flights in the UK,
especially as flights over the Cairngorm Mountains are rarely blue
skies! Sometimes I can get on top at FL70 to FL10. If only I could use
the IMC rating when on holiday..

David