Old October 17th 18, 01:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

Default ASW-19 Maximum Weight

On Tuesday, October 16, 2018 at 9:36:31 PM UTC-6, 2G wrote:
On Tuesday, October 16, 2018 at 4:57:59 AM UTC-7, Dan Daly wrote:
On Tuesday, October 16, 2018 at 2:20:44 AM UTC-4, 2G wrote:
On Monday, October 15, 2018 at 11:16:27 PM UTC-7, Ouroboros wrote:
Dan: That makes sense. Thanks. We will definitely be looking for excess weight in the tail. Any idea where one might put such weight?

Michael: I see the TN on Schliechers website, but the TCDS says that the max weight without water is the same for both ASW-19 and ASW-19b, so I don't think that will help me.

Tom: Yes. This glider has a standard certificate. I find it hard to believe that a mistake like that could remain unchanged for so many years!

It just might be a typo by the issuing FSDO (805 vs 895).

Tom

From TCDSs for ASW19/ASW19B, EASA max weight dry: 805 lbs for both. Transport Canada max weight dry: 805 lbs for both. BGA max weight dry: 805 lbs for both. With FAA, that would be 8 typos - 4 per 19, 4 per 19B... Therefore, not an FAA typo.

As for where weight might be, from BGA TCDS: "Up to 7 Kg of nose weights may be fitted. 1 Kg of nose weight is equivalent to 2.5 Kg of cockpit weight".

BGA gives weight of non-lifting parts ("everything except wings") as 507 lbs. When you weigh for new CofG, weigh that. It should give an idea of whether repair added a bunch of weight - the fuselage and tail are easy to weigh.

Then, WHY does this differ so much from the manufacturer's, Schleicher's, published weights?

Tom

My club once looked into a used ASW-19(B IIRC). Discovered that the original, generous factory stated payload was without instruments. As we went over the glider, we could figure out the weights of the panel, O2, but couldn't figure out the last 10 lb 'gain'. Since our requirement was for a useful pilot/chute load of 235lbs, we passed on the purchase. Interesting to hear about the nose weight option. We missed that, if installed. We figured there may have been 10 lbs of lead in the tail but didn't remove the rudder to check. Nothing in the log books about either. We bought an LS-4a.

Frank