Old April 23rd 04, 10:04 PM
Tom Seim

John Jones wrote in message ...
As more self launch sailplanes are built, what will
be the effect on soaring growth?

Will soaring clubs decline? Will self launchers disperse
to many more airports, creating more exposure?

Any thoughts?

I have trailered/flown into GA airports with my DG-400 where there has
been absolutely no glider activity and, generally, received quite a
bit of interest from power pilots. I use the opportunity to inform
them where they can go to get instruction and what it takes to
transition from power into gliders, as well as answering the usual
questions like what do gliders cost.

One power pilot, flying a rig that consumed 30 gal/hr, watched me land
after a 4 hour flight. He asked me how much fuel I burned during the
flight. I replied, "a couple of quarts". He was impressed!

Tom Seim
Richland, WA