Old June 18th 07, 11:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Bob McKellar[_2_]

Default This News Group

"Greasy Rider" wrote in message

"Bob McKellar" wrote in message
. ..

He did forgive me for only being a Tin Can Pork Chop.

New expression for me... "Tin Can Pork Chop". I understand Tin Can but
lost on the "Pork Chop".

Line officers wear a star over the rank stripes on dress blues and shoulder
boards on other uniforms.

Staff corps officers (Supply, Medical, Dental, Civil Engineer, etc.) wear
other distinctive insignia.

The Supply Corps insignia is said to resemble a pork chop, hence the
nickname. I suppose it was first used as a friendly insult, but has since
been wholeheartedly adopted by 'Chops everywhere.

Extra info #1: The insignia is oak leaves and three nuts. The Supply Corps
Officer has a spare for EVERYTHING.

Extra info #2: Supply Corps shoulder boards are asymmetrical and have a left
and right side. This would be too complicated for line officers.

http://www.navy.mil/navydata/navy_legacy_hr.asp?id=267 for staff corps
insignia

Bob McKellar