Old September 7th 03, 12:43 AM
Steve P

On 9/6/2003 5:17 AM after considerable forethought, Stuart King wrote:
The situation....

Your on an IFR plan, in VMC. You see the airport and make your call: N123
has the field.

ATC : N123 cleard for the visual approach to rwy 9, contact tower 123.4

You : cleared for the vis to 9, over tower...thanks.

You : acb tower N123 with you on the visual to 9.

Tower : N123 roger, enter a left downwind for 9.

Does this mean you stay on downwind, or are you just enetering the pattern
and can make base/final anytime.

Clearance to land has not yet been given.

SK

If I'm told to enter the downwind or any part of the pattern and have
NOT been cleared to land, I report once that's been completed. I find
it common to be told to enter left downwind, and I end up reporting,
"N123 abeam the tower left downwind" A few airports around here use
both right and left traffic simultaneously so it's important to let the
tower know when you need to be a part of the consideration for landing.
If I hear there are several planes in the pattern, I'll try to report
when entering and add "wing up" so they can pick me out more easily.

Steve P