Old May 4th 08, 05:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Peter Clark

Default Annual overdue by a few days

On Sun, 4 May 2008 08:48:01 -0700 (PDT), Larry
wrote:

Am I allowed to fly my plane to a near by airport in order to complete
the aircraft annual even if it is a few days after annual due date? In
other words annual was done on 4/29/07 and now we are into May. What
do I need to do to get permission and how long can this extension be.
Would this be different than a "Ferry Flight" limited to 10hrs.
Or......Thanks

Get your A&P to call the FSDO and get a ferry permit. As soon as the
annual expired it's no longer legal to reposition to the other
airport. The fly-over-to-reposition provisions of the 100hr
inspection don't apply to annual inspections.

The ferry permit is basically a formality. The A&P gets one, signs
off that the aircraft is safe to move, and hands it to you to go get
the aircraft. Takes about 1/2 hour to arrange assuming the guy from
the FSDO is near his desk.