Old August 23rd 09, 02:03 PM
Gauntlet Gauntlet is offline
Junior Member

atlieb,

Whether your technique is effective or not is one question. Whether what you did was safe is another.

I'm assuming from your initial posts that this technique has not been demonstrated to you by a flight instructor, and is not approved in the Pilot's Operating Handbook or similar. If this is the case, then congratulations! You have now embarked on a career as an amateur experimental test-pilot, stepping boldly into the unknown etc.

Without knowing a whole lot more about you, your aircraft and the exact circumstances of your flight, no-one here is in a position to judge whether what you did was "safe" or not. But I kind of suspect that you may not have considered all the intricacies of your new profession in flight test. So, if I may, I'd like to ask a few questions about how you undertook this experiment:

What is the maximum normal acceleration for your aircraft? What was the maximum normal acceleration you experienced?

What is the corner speed for your aircraft? What was your calibrated airspeed in relation to corner speed?

What is Va for your aircraft? If you were above Va, what is the limiting aileron deflection?

What is the limiting sideslip angle for your aircraft? What sideslip angle did you achieve?

On the instrumentation video it looks like your rate of descent was off the clock. So with high ROD and large angle-of-bank, how much vertical airspace did you calculate that you would require to recover? What height did you enter the manoeuvre? What height did you commence recovery? What height did you recover at?

How much normal acceleration did you use in the recovery?

High normal acceleration equals increase stall speed. What do you think your stall speed was during this manoeuvre? And what are the accelerated stall characteristics for this aircraft?

Remember that whilst this is a theory test, it is not an open-book exam... Especially as you have already conducted the practical!

It may be that you considered all of the above, found satisfactory answers to those questions, and conducted your flight with all risks as low as is reasonably possible. I still think your life expectancy would be better without part-time experimentation, but well done on your testing philosophy.

But, if some of the questions make you stop and think, or you can't see the relevance, or (worse still) you can't understand the question, then amateur test-piloting is not for you and I would strongly advise that you stay safely within the bounds of the aircraft envelope.

Good luck, either way.

Last edited by Gauntlet : August 23rd 09 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Addressed it to the wrong user - sorry Flap 50!