Old August 23rd 09, 12:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
a[_3_]

Default Emergency Descents with ATC COMS - Video

On Aug 22, 10:41*pm, a wrote:
On Aug 22, 9:51*pm, " wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxkiT8gWIQo

Had never done an emergency descent with banking as a tool. *It was
suggested to me to try this with a 90 degree bank.

Very interesting experience as it really works and works quickly! *I
tried 2 without banking and 2 with banking of which the video contains
one of each.

Video contains both outside and instrumentation views but the
instrumentation view unfortunately wasn't as good as I hoped. *Camera
power saving feature shut the camera off and I lost my zoom setting.

Comments here or on the video most appreciated on helping me improve
the technique as this was my first time doing this

Question for you -- What are the Sundowner limits on pitch and bank?

Another speedy way down is a slip of course -- it also allows enough
throttle to keep the engine warm.

I don't have the documentation handy and my memory may be in error,
but I think the Mooney's limits when used in the general utility
category are 30 degrees pitch 60 degrees bank. Since it's used mainly
for XC, mostly under IFR, there's no reason to ever come close to
those limits. I wondered if the Sundowner certification was markedly
different.