Old August 8th 03, 05:00 PM
vincent Brannigan

Brett wrote:

"vince" wrote:
| "Brett" wrote in message

| Try reading your reference again, a military occupation occurred in
the
| 12th Century, your reference goes into a lot of details on what
occurred
| from that time until the Tudors.
|
| If you read the Statutes of Kilkenny you will see what the overlords
| were trying to do. it is a statute for a military occupation by and
| for the benefit of anglo normans, not a statute designed to provide
| political control by "England" For one thing, it was written in
| FRENCH, the Norman legal language.
|
| It is perfectly correct to say that "England" had little influence.
| It is nonsense to say the "English" did not.

Your reference was the source of that exact quote, so while some Irish
wanna-be might not agree with his own reference it doesn't make the
Irish wanna-be correct.
http://www.rte.ie/culture/millennia/history/0900.html

"Before Henry VIII came to power in 1509 the English had LITTLE
INFLUENCE over Ireland."

Itimply does not mean what you claim

the next line is

"Henry feared that foreign or domestic enemies would use Ireland as a base
for
.. attacking him. In the past, Yorkist pretenders, such as Lambert Simnel
and
..Perkin Warbeck, spent time in Ireland and got support from the Irish
lords. Politically,
.. Henry needed to have the country under his control. "

This is completely consistent with a lack of royal control over the english
miliatry occupation.

the reference also says in the prior section

"It was vital for the English settlers to have an efficient law code and
government if
.. they were to maintain control over the newly conquered country."

To recapitulate . there was a military occupatiion of Ireland by Anglo
Norman free booters, who could justify their military conquests by a
nominal allegiance to the King of England as a personal feudal lord. This
put the English invadeers in control of large sections of the country as
local miliatry warlords.

For what its worth I ma descended form one of the key warlords , the Butler
family, dukes of Ormonde

The Fitzgeralds as in John Fitzgerald Kennedy, are another of these norman
freebooters.

Vince