Old March 12th 08, 03:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

Default Airparks; Living On The Beaten Path?

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message
"Blueskies" wrote in
. net:

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message

Ercoupe 415, 85 hp, cruise ~110 mph
(http://www.planeandpilotmag.com/airc...s/ercoupe/1949
-ercoupe-415-g.html) Luscombe 8F, 90 hp, cruise ~95 mph
(http://www.planeandpilotmag.com/airc...s/luscombe/194
6-luscombe-8a.html) Rearwin Sportster '8500', 85 hp, cruise ~103 mph
(http://www.pilotfriend.com/aircraft%...win/Rearwin%20
Sportster.htm) Rearwin Speedster '6000C', 95 hp, cruise ~120 mph
(http://www.pilotfriend.com/aircraft%...win/Rearwin%20
Speedster.htm) Taylorcraft BC-12D, 65 hp, 90-100 mph
(http://www.pilotfriend.com/aircraft%...aylorcraft.htm)

That was fun. T cart is T-craft?

I've flown all of these airplanes except the Speedster, though I did
talk to one of the Rearwin Family about buying the first production
airplane at one time. I think it might still be for sale, but the
price is big and it needs complete restoration. It's Cirrus powered
one. Th eMenasco powered airplane cruised at 140 plus IIRC.

Those figures are rubbish for the Luscombe and the Ercoupe in
particular. All the foloowing figures are in MPH.
The Ercoupe will do about 95 to 100 on an 85 and the Luscombe will
cruise an honest 100 on a 65 and over 110 with an 85. The T-cart will
do 95mph with an A -65 ( My first airplane was a T-cart) The Sporster
came with a large variety of HPs depending and even the 60 HP one wil
cruise at over 90 on a good day. a 90 HP Sporster is a fine airplane,
BTW. BTW, the luscombe still holds the closed course record for a
production airplane in it's class 69 years after it set the record.
129 mph, IIRC. That was an A-65 posered one BTW.

Then there are airplanes like the Jodel 1040. with an O-200 it will
lift three 200 lb guys out of an 1100 foot strip with six hours
endurance and cruise at 120 mph. A Jodel D-12 will do over 100 with
an A-65 and get out of a 600 foot long strip with two guys on board.
The Ercoupe was a good performer, but it wasn't the best at anything.

Bertie

We've got an old guy (as if I'm not) here who has 3 1/2 coupes, and he
does like them. I was quoting him on the performance numbers, so I
can't say from personal experience. He also has a twister (raced it at
Cleveland and Reno!) in his hanger alongside the meyers 200. He likes
flying circles around the cessners tho'...

So many airplanes, so little time...what is a T-cart? Your numbers
seem to match up on that line...

Oh sorry, nickname for a Taylorcraft. Mine was a BF 65 but had a
continental in it. Lovely little airplane. It's just been restored by the
present owner and is still flying at the age of 69.

I have factory figures for the airplane ( Original press publications from
the thirties for each)
Ercoupe 415-C A-65 powered:
cruise @ 80% 95, initial ROC 600fpm stall 37
And the postwar airplane with the 85
cruise @75% 100 mph stall 48 (?!!) initial ROC 750 FPM.

I have no idea why the stal speed jumped so much, bu tI suspect they
didn't
correct indicated on the earlier airplane. 48 sounds high for a wing
Good thing they're more honest these days, eh?

The 415-E with the C-85 and an uppped gross weight they say will do 110 at
80%, which is definitely not true of any I know of, but it's climb has
gone
down to 550 FPM. Mostly due to the increased gross of 1400 over the
earlier
machine's gross of 1180. Electrics and all that..
I forgot about the Culver Cadet, of course, which is published at 120
cruise with an A-75. AFAIK, this was an honest figure for the airplane,
but
I've never flown one. And the figures for the aforementioned Bellanca
Junior with just about any of the available 90 horse engines was from 120
to 126 mph. An that was a three seater.
Most of the 90 horse monocoupes would have eaten it for breakfast as well.

Some Ercoupe trivia has to include the twin fuselage someone made in the
fifties as an airshow curiosity and it holds a place in history as the
first aircraft to have a JATO bottle installed. There's a famous pic of
that flight with the airplane taking off at an absolutely insane angle of
climb.I'm sure it's on the net somewhere.

Bertie

I ran into that while looikng for info on the undercarriage, here's one of
the links:
http://www.geocities.com/~planes/cfacts/jato.htm

Peter