Old May 26th 08, 10:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Lindsay

Default Aerotow Fuel Costs & Winch Launching

In article , Derek Copeland
writes
My UK gliding club has just been forced to increase the cost of 2000ft
aerotows from £25 to £29 (about $58), just due to the spiralling price of
fuel.

A good case for more winch launching perhaps!

Derek Copeland

Too right!

I know of two UK clubs which use LPG as a fuel for winches.

We are doing more winching at our club; you can get to 1400 to 1500 ft
at about a third the price of an aerotow to 2000.

There seems to be an idea that winching is far more dangerous than
aerotows, but I am old enough to remember a time when we were killing
two or three tuggies every year.

--
Mike Lindsay