Old September 8th 08, 06:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Paul kgyy

Default Mode S transponder display to ATC?

Jay Maynard wrote

On 2008-09-08, Peter wrote:
Isn't the USA going to implement ADS-B using the 1090MHz Extended
Squitter - such as can be done with a GTX330?

AIUI, most of the rest of the world (those bits that are planning
ADS-B) are looking to do it that way.

1090ES is one of two US ADS-B standards; the other is a standalone
transmitter. I was unaware the GTX330 would do 1090ES. If it does, I'm going
to be very happy indeed, as I'd been thinking the extra $2500 or so I spent
on mine was going to be largely wasted. The common wisdom here is that
1090ES is going to be mostly used by the big iron.

I am really not up to date on this (no immediate need to know) but
AIUI the GTX330 will radiate anything and everything presented to it
via its RS232 or ARINC inputs and this means that if you install a
GTX330 and feed it with the normal ex-NMEA data, it will radiate the
whole lot. Airliners everywhere radiate the whole lot, as a result of
being Enhanced Mode S (250kt TAS, 5700kg I think).

So that takes care of the transmitting bit.

Does the GTX330 also *receive* the 1090ES data? I believe so. I do
have the installation manual, though not to hand.

I think as things currently stand you have to purchase Garmin's GDL90
to receive.